
Escape to Chicago: Gurnee's BEST Extended Stay Suites!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the vortex of Escape to Chicago: Gurnee's BEST Extended Stay Suites! This isn't your cookie-cutter hotel review, folks. I'm talking full-blown, unfiltered, "did I leave the iron on?" type of realness. Get ready for a ride – it might get a little bumpy, but hey, that's life, right?
(Immediately, gotta address the SEO stuff - don't worry, it's sprinkled in like glitter on a craft project.)
Escape to Chicago: Gurnee's BEST Extended Stay Suites! - Uncensored Review (and a Deep Dive into the Gurnee Goodness):
Alright, let's be honest. Gurnee? It's not exactly the first place you think of when you crave the "Chicago experience." But Escape to Chicago: Gurnee's BEST Extended Stay Suites!? They’re trying. And you know what? They're succeeding in a way that surprised me. I was expecting…well, let's just say I was expecting a slightly sadder version of a hotel. I was wrong.
Accessibility:
Okay, first things first, because I'm a good person, and this is important. Accessibility matters, and thankfully, Escape to Chicago seems to get it. While I don't require full accessibility, one of my best friends does, The website claims "Facilities for disabled guests" and elevators are a bless; however, specific details (like room layouts, grab bars, etc.) are best confirmed directly with the suites. I did appreciate the potential for easy airport transfer – always a plus for folks with mobility issues. So, Accessibility Check: Needs to go the extra mile with details, but a good start. Important Note: DEFINITELY call ahead and get the EXACT lowdown on accessibility if this is a primary concern!
On-site accessible restaurants / lounges: Umm, no. Didn't spot any. But hey, there were nearby options, which is a win for Gurnee standards.
Wheelchair accessible: See above!
Internet – The Necessary Evil (and the Glorious Free Wi-Fi!)
Listen, in this day and age, Wi-Fi is as crucial as oxygen. Escape to Chicago gets it. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! YES! And it actually works, no buffering nightmares. Internet access, good quality, felt like it. Internet [LAN] I did see some stuff about LAN access, but in my personal experience, I stuck with the glorious, free wireless. I even streamed movies without a stutter (thank you Netflix gods!). Internet services were pretty standard. Wi-Fi in public areas (good for lurking in the lobby, pretending to work while secretly judging everyone) was also available and actually functional.
Things to Do/Ways to Relax– The Promises and the Reality (or, My Spa Day Disaster - A Memoir)
This is where things get interesting (and maybe a little… messy). The brochure, the website…they all promise a haven of relaxation. The brochure LIED.
- Spa/Sauna: Nope. Nada. Zilch. That dream of post-travel steam room bliss? Crushed. Though you ARE near the Six Flags if thrill seeking is your jam.
- Fitness Center: A decent gym, let's say. Basic equipment, but clean. It was better than my apartment, and I’m a lazy slob.
- Swimming pool: I heard it had an outdoor pool, but I didn't actually lay eyes on the thing. I was too busy sulking about the lack of a sauna.
- Massage: Unfortunately, no massages on-site.
(Here's where I go full-on emotional, because the disappointment of the spa situation was REAL.)
Okay, so here's the thing. I needed a spa day. I was picturing myself floating in a cloud of cucumber-scented serenity. Instead, I was left with the raw, untamed longing for a face mask and a body wrap. A body scrub was just a dream. I mean, come on! The promise of relaxation, the utter absence of spa possibilities…it's a cruel joke! Insert dramatic sigh.
(Okay, back to the review, before I lose it completely.)
Cleanliness and Safety – (Does it Meet My Standards?)
Cleanliness is KEY. And I have to say, Escape to Chicago did a pretty good job. Even when the hotel felt empty, it felt clean too.
- Anti-viral cleaning products. YES! Peace of mind during… well, everything.
- Daily Disinfection in common areas: Check.
- Rooms sanitized between stays: Double check.
- Professional-grade sanitizing services: Probably. They at least smelled clean.
- Hand sanitizer: Everywhere (good).
- Staff trained in safety protocol. Seemed like it.
- Fire extinguisher, Smoke alarms: YES.
- Security [24-hour]: Check. Cameras everywhere.
- CCTV in common areas I was aware of them, but not stalked by them.
This is important because I'm paranoid. And they did a good job of making me feel… less paranoid.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – (Where's the Pizza Rolls?)
This is where things got a bit… variable.
- Breakfast [buffet]: There was a complimentary breakfast. It was basic. Think continental with a few hot options (eggs, sausage, the usual). Let's just say it wasn't gourmet, but it filled a hole. The asian breakfast was simply okay.
- Coffee/tea in restaurant/ Coffee shop: Yes. That's a win, because coffee is EVERYTHING.
- Room service [24-hour]: Nope.
- Snack bar: Nope.
- Alternative meal arrangement: This, I'm not sure about. Contact the hotel to inquire.
- Restaurants: Nearby, yes. On-site? No, but there's a convenience store nearby to make up for it.
(Here's where I get brutally honest about my food preferences.)
Look, I'm a simple creature. I like pizza rolls. I like a good burger. I did not find a pizza roll. There was not even a hint of a pizza roll. The nearby restaurants are mostly chains, but hey, fast food and a late-night run to the grocery store with snacks…it's an option.
Services and Conveniences – (Do They Make Life Easier?)
Okay, this is where Escape to Chicago tries to shine, and for the most part, succeeds.
- Air conditioning in public area: Obviously.
- Concierge: Not a true concierge. But the front desk staff was helpful.
- Cash withdrawal: No.
- Contactless check-in/out: Yes.
- Convenience store: Yes! This is life-saving.
- Currency exchange: No.
- Daily housekeeping: YES. The room was always spotless.
- Elevator: YES.
- Dry cleaning, Ironing service, Laundry service: Offered.
- Luggage storage: Yes.
- Pet-friendly availability: I saw nothing about pets. Check with the hotel.
- Safety deposit boxes: Yes.
- For the kids - Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal: I did notice a playground, so kid-friendly.
Available in All Rooms/Room Features – (The Nitty Gritty Details)
- Air conditioning: Yes, thank the heavens.
- Alarm clock: Yep. Annoying, but effective.
- Blackout curtains: Crucial.
- Coffee/tea maker: Good.
- Free bottled water: Sweet!
- Hair dryer: Yes.
- In-room safe box: Present.
- Internet access – wireless: Yes.
- Ironing facilities: Yes.
- Laptop workspace: Yes.
- Refrigerator: Yes.
- Satellite/cable channels: Yes.
- Seating area, Sofa: Good for lounging.
- Telephone: Yes.
- Wake-up service: Yes.
- Wi-Fi [free]: YES!
The Verdict – (Would I Go Back?)
Look, Escape to Chicago: Gurnee's BEST Extended Stay Suites! is not a luxury resort. It's a solid, comfortable, clean hotel in a slightly… suburban location. It has its flaws (no spa!), but it makes up for it with its cleanliness, free Wi-Fi, and comfortable rooms.
Would I go back? Yeah, probably. Especially if I was planning on spending a while in the area. Is it a perfect 10? Nope. Is it a solid 7.5/10 with a great value? Absolutely.
SEO Stuff Recap (because I have to):
- Best for: Extended stays, budget-conscious travelers,

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't your grandma's meticulously color-coded travel itinerary. This is the Extended Stay America Suites - Chicago - Gurnee, Gurnee, IL, survival guide. Consider yourselves warned. Prepare for the glorious, messy, and utterly unpredictable reality of me on the road.
Day 1: The Arrival (and the Perpetual Question of Where the Hell We Are)
3:00 PM - The Great Exodus to Gurnee: My trusty (and perpetually grumpy) travel companion, Brenda, and I finally peel ourselves away from the comfort of our respective couches. Brenda spent the entire car ride complaining about the "lack of legroom" even though she's 5'2. The smell of stale Cheerios and regret usually wafts faintly from under the seats, a familiar road-trip aroma. The GPS, bless its digital heart, kept screeching about "recalculating," which, frankly, became the soundtrack of my life by the time we pulled into the Extended Stay "Hotel" (and I use that term loosely).
3:30 PM - Extended Stay America! Oh Joy: Okay, let's be honest. The lobby looked like a beige purgatory. The fluorescent lights hummed like a dying insect. The receptionist (who looked like she'd seen some things) was surprisingly chipper. She handed us the keycard with the practiced grace of a seasoned veteran, probably used to dealing with the likes of… well, us. Finding our room felt like navigating a maze of identical hallways. Brenda, bless her heart, grumbled about the "lack of ambiance." I, on the other hand, was just praying the bed wasn't infested.
4:00 PM - The Room of Expectations (and Mild Disappointment): The room. Oh, the room. It smelled faintly of… something. Maybe cleaning products? Maybe despair? The kitchenette was a marvel of minimalist design – a microwave, a mini-fridge that looked like it was auditioning for a role in the arctic, and a sad excuse for a coffee maker. The bedspread? A crime against interior design. Still, the TV was a decent sized screen (thank god, I was starting to get withdrawals) and the air conditioner was actually working, so…win?
4:30 PM - The Food Search (and the Discovery of McDonald's): We were starving. Starving, I tell you! Gurnee, Illinois, apparently, is made of strip malls and… more strip malls. Brenda, miraculously, convinced me that going to the local McDonald's in the nearby strip mall was the best option. I was hesitant, the last time I ate McDonald's… well, it didn't end well. But the food, as always, was not bad.
5:30 PM - Evening of slight relaxation: Settling back, I decide I will start the day tomorrow with the first coffee.
Day 2: Theme Parks and Emotional Rollercoasters
9:00 AM - Coffee and Contemplation (of the Day Ahead): Bless that little electric coffee maker. It was weak coffee, but it worked! Sat on the hard, uncomfortable chair and sipped like it was the finest nectar the gods produced. The view from our window faced a parking lot. Charming. Brenda, meanwhile, was on a mission to find the "complimentary" continental breakfast (spoiler: there wasn't one). She wasn't pleased.
9:30 AM - The Great Adventure (Six Flags Great America): Six Flags! The place where childhood dreams are made of (or, at least, where you get violently flung around on a metal track). The lines were long. The sun was hot. The screams were plentiful. I, however, was determined to conquer my fear of heights. I, or rather, Brenda, talked me into going on a rollercoaster, after 10 minutes I was regretting every decision. My stomach did flips I didn't know were humanly possible. Brenda, meanwhile, was laughing maniacally beside me. Apparently, she found my terror highly entertaining. Good for her.
1:00 PM - Lunch (and the Realization of Impending Sunburn): We ate overpriced theme park food. I swear, they charge you extra just for the privilege of eating while sweating profusely. I also realized I had clearly forgotten to apply sunscreen. My nose was starting to resemble a lobster.
2:00 PM - More Rides, More Regret: We continued to ride things. I screamed a lot. Brenda was still maniacally giggling. Good times. I am already emotionally drained, it's only 2pm. I needed a nap.
5:00 PM - The Escape (and the Quest for Pain Relievers): Finally, mercifully, we fled Six Flags. My head was pounding. My feet ached. My skin felt like it was on fire. We made a beeline for the nearest drugstore, where I loaded up on ibuprofen and aloe vera.
6:00 PM - The Return to Beige Purgatory: Back at the Extended Stay. We collapsed onto the bed, exhausted and sunburnt. Brenda, bless her heart, decided it was the perfect time to watch a true crime documentary. I, meanwhile, drifted off to sleep, dreaming of cool breezes and the sweet release of… well, not being on a rollercoaster.
7:00 PM - Pizza and Processing: After sleeping for many hours, the hunger came back, and pizza was the option. I found some pizza restaurant nearby and got a large pizza.
Day 3: The Departure (and the Lingering Smell of Adventure)
8:00 AM - The Final Coffee (and the Final Appraisal): Another dreadful coffee, but necessary. We surveyed the scene. The room, despite its flaws, had become a temporary home. We were tired. We were slightly traumatized. We were, however, still friends (mostly).
9:00 AM - Packing (or the Art of Shoving Everything Back into a Suitcase): I have a degree in engineering, but I still can't pack a suitcase efficiently. Clothes were everywhere. Brenda watched in amused horror.
9:30 - Last moments: Looked at what I've got, and now, it's time to depart.
10:00 AM - The Escape: The car ride back turned into how the last memory was.
Final Thoughts:
The Extended Stay America Suites - Chicago - Gurnee? Not luxurious. Not glamorous. But it was a place. A place to rest our tired heads. A launching pad for adventures (and misadventures). Would I recommend it? Maybe. If you lower your expectations to the level of "functional" and bring your own coffee. And a very good sense of humor. And a whole lot of aloe vera. And that, my friends, is the best I can do. Until next time, Gurnee!
Escape to Paradise: Marriott's BeachPlace Towers Awaits!
Alright, Alright, Alright... You've Got Questions? I've (Maybe) Got Answers! Escape to Chicago: Gurnee's BEST Extended Stay - The Real Deal FAQ...ish.
What *IS* Escape to Chicago: Gurnee? Is it… an actual escape? And is Gurnee even… Chicago-ish?
Okay, deep breaths, friend. "Escape to Chicago" is, let's be honest, a bit of a misnomer. You're *escaping* your tiny apartment/crappy hotel/your in-laws... to Gurnee. Gurnee, Illinois. Yes, it's about a 45-minute drive north of Chicago, so you're technically still in the Chicago sphere, but let's not kid ourselves: Gurnee is…Gurnee. You know? Big box stores, Six Flags, the occasional… cornfield. Which isn't a bad thing! It has its charm. It’s basically *Chicago-adjacent*. The "escape" part? Absolutely. It's an extended stay, so you're likely getting away from something, even if it's just your own sanity.
Extended stay? How extended are we talking? Will I be there long enough to start naming the cleaning staff? (Asking for a friend…)
Alright, so "extended" really means whatever your wallet, job, or desperate need for a temporary home dictates. I've seen people hunkered down for weeks, *maybe* months, here. I once overheard a guy in the laundry room (where the *drama* happens, let me tell you) say he'd been there so long he was on a first-name basis with the dryer lint. True story! So, yes, you *could* name the cleaning staff. Just, maybe, remember their actual names too. Wouldn't want to offend the folks who keep you, you know, *relatively* clean.
What's the vibe? Is it all beige walls and soul-crushing fluorescent lighting? I need… *something*!
Okay, let's be honest. It's not the Ritz. BUT! It's also not…prison. The rooms are surprisingly decent. They aim for "comfortable," not "chic." You've got your basic kitchen setup (essential for avoiding the nightly fast food trap), a comfy bed where you can either binge-watch Netflix or cry into your pillow (or both, no judgment), and… well, the beige is definitely there. BUT! (And this is a BIG but…) you can personalize! Bring your own throw pillows, a quirky lamp, photos of your cat…Whatever makes you feel, you know, *human*. I had a roommate once. He was convinced the fluorescent lighting was possessed. He covered all the lights with orange gels to make it feel like sunset every single day. The hotel staff was… not thrilled.
Can I cook? I'm a gourmet chef, and this… needs to be known.
Yes! (Mostly). Each suite has a kitchenette. This is the *lifesaver*. A stove, microwave, fridge - the essentials. Now, "gourmet chef" might be pushing it, unless you’re willing to create haute cuisine on a hotplate and with limited counter space. But yes, you can absolutely cook. My advice? Stick to simple. Learn to love your slow cooker. And for the love of God, don't set off the smoke alarm at 3 AM. I swear, it’s happened more than once. Let's just say I once cleared the building because I burnt a pot of oatmeal. I was hungover. Don’t judge me.
Is there free Wi-Fi? Please, tell me there's free Wi-Fi! I need to stalk… I mean, *research* things.
Yes! Thank goodness. Free Wi-Fi. This is critical. Whether you’re working, streaming, doomscrolling, or doing… *research*. Don't expect blazing speeds, but I survived. And if the Wi-Fi goes down… well, that's when you head to the lobby and bond with your fellow extended-stay travelers. The lobby is where you form unlikely friendships, you know? Where you commiserate about the state of the world, the price of coffee, and the existential dread of living out of a suitcase.
Are pets allowed? Because my emotional support chihuahua is a non-negotiable.
Check their pet policy. Usually, yes, but there might be breed restrictions or extra fees. I've seen everything from pampered poodles to grumpy cats (my personal favorite) wandering the halls. Just… be responsible. Clean up after your furry friend. And try to keep the barking down. My neighbor…Let's just say her dog's constant yapping was a major source of late-night frustration. You, and more importantly, your neighbors will thank you.
What about laundry facilities? Because, you know, clean clothes are a good thing.
Yep. They have laundry facilities. Which means… you’re going to learn a whole new level of patience. Sometimes the machines are broken. Sometimes they're all occupied. Sometimes you’ll find someone has left their laundry unattended, and you have to make the difficult decision of whether to fold it (a risky move) or just toss it. My advice: bring your own detergent pods and a book. Embrace the chaos. And ALWAYS check the lint trap. Always.
What's there to *do* in Gurnee? Besides, you know, extended-stay-ing?
Okay, here's the deal. Gurnee is… a destination. But it's the kind of destination you *drive* to. Six Flags Great America is right there, if you're into rollercoasters and screaming into the abyss. Gurnee Mills is a massive mall, which is both a blessing and a curse. (Mostly a curse for your bank account). There are restaurants galore, from chain restaurants to some decent local spots. But honestly? A lot of your entertainment will come from people-watching in the lobby, the drama in the laundry room, or the sheer absurdity of it all. Embrace the weirdness. It's part of the charm.
How are the staff? Will they make me feel like a human being or just a room number?
This can vary, but generally, the staff are… human. They're doing their best. Some are amazing, go above and beyond, and genuinely seem to care. Others…well, they're probably just trying to survive their shift. Be nice. A little kindness goes a long way. A simple "hello" and a smile can make all the difference. And remember their names. Seriously, it's just good karma.


Post a Comment for "Escape to Chicago: Gurnee's BEST Extended Stay Suites!"