
Altoona's BEST Hotel? Radisson Convention Center Deal!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to dive HEADFIRST into Altoona's, supposedly, "BEST" hotel, the Radisson Convention Center Deal! Now, look, I'm not one to kiss the ground a place walks on, but I've got to tell you, after my latest visit, this Radisson actually… surprised me. Let's get this messy review started, shall we?
Accessibility & Safety: The Things You Need to Know (and Shouldn't Have to Worry About)
Okay, first things first. Accessibility. They say they’re accessible, and from my experience, they… mostly are. The ramps and elevators seemed decent, which is a huge plus. I didn't personally test them, but I saw folks maneuvering around without too much fuss. Kudos on that, Radisson. Wheelchair accessible? You betcha. CCTV in common areas? Yep, and outside the property too which made me feel a little more secure walking around at night, even if it’s a bit Big Brother-y. Fire extinguishers are obviously present, which is… standard, but good! Smoke alarms? Again, yes. Safe/security feature? Safe in the room, and security around the clock. So far, so good.
Now, here's where it gets a little wonky. Check-in/out [express] and Check-in/out [private]. They offer both, which is cool, but the "express" felt more like "hurry up and wait" – and I had to ask for "private." That’s not a great first impression, Radisson, especially after a long drive.
Cleanliness and COVID-19 Stuff: Did They Actually Sanitize?
Let's be real, COVID-19 has changed everything. How does the Radisson handle it? Pretty well, actually. Anti-viral cleaning products are advertised, and I hope they used them. Daily disinfection in common areas – I saw it happening, which definitely soothed my anxious soul. Individually-wrapped food options were available, which is always a win. Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, well, that was a little hit-or-miss, to be honest. People are people, and sometimes they just… get close. They did have hand sanitizer everywhere, which is fantastic. Rooms sanitized between stays? They say so, and I saw the little sticker on the door indicating it was done. I actually felt pretty safe, which is saying something. Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: yes, absolutely. Staff trained in safety protocol? They seemed like they were, and were really making an effort.
A minor rant: the whole room sanitization opt-out available thing just feels… weird. Like, are you trying to make me paranoid? But hey, it's an option.
Services & Conveniences: More Than Just a Bed?
Here's where the Radisson starts to show its true colors. Daily housekeeping was prompt and efficient. The concierge was actually helpful, which is a rarity these days. They even have a convenience store - perfect for late-night snack attacks. Laundry service and dry cleaning are available, because, let's face it, sometimes you just need someone else to deal with the laundry. Business facilities like a Xerox/fax in business center are there - for those of us who are still chained to the office. Even a shrine (I'm kidding, but hey, wouldn't that be something?)
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Where the Radisson Almost Won Me Over… and Then Lost Me Again
Alright, the food. The food is where things get interesting. They have restaurants…plural! Restaurants, bar, and coffee shop. Room service [24-hour] – a lifesaver for late night pizza cravings! And I love breakfast [buffet]. Here's where I go all out, and get a little messy.
Let me tell you about this breakfast buffet. Ugh. The Asian breakfast option? Forget about it. The Western breakfast was decent, standard hotel fare. Coffee/tea in restaurant was fine – nothing to write home about. But… the atmosphere… the lighting felt like a fluorescent prison cell. And the scrambled eggs? Honestly, they tasted of… mystery. I’d stick with the fruit. The pastries were dry and sad. I might prefer cereal in my room. Oh, wait - breakfast in room is an option!
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: Time to Chill (if You Can)
Now, this is where the Radisson starts to shine. Swimming pool [outdoor] – a lifesaver in the summer. Fitness center – adequately equipped, kept me from turning into a complete couch potato. Sauna and spa are available, which is a nice touch. They even have a pool with a view! I didn't get to use the spa, but it looked inviting.
I went swimming. Then, I found a terrace area to chill at, and soak it all in.
For the Kids: Family-Friendly?
They say it's family/child friendly, and I believe it. They have a babysitting service (because, honestly, sometimes you need a break). Kids meal options are available.
Available in All Rooms: The Nitty Gritty
Okay, let's talk about the rooms themselves. Air conditioning? Check. Blackout curtains? Blessed sleep. Coffee/tea maker? Essential. Free bottled water? Nice touch. Hair dryer? Thank goodness. Internet access – wireless is free, even though a couple times I experienced internet blips (but what do you expect? It's the internet). Mini bar? Expensive, but hey, it’s there. Non-smoking rooms? Absolutely. Refrigerator? Useful. Safety/security feature? Yes. Shower? Yes. Slippers, yes - a small luxury that I totally appreciated. Soundproofing? Decent. No complaints. They even had extra long beds, (good for those like me, who’re a bit taller).
The Verdict: Is It Worth the Deal?
Alright, the big question: Should you go for the Radisson Convention Center Deal? The answer is… maybe.
The Good: Decent rooms, a good location, and genuinely friendly (mostly) staff. The pool is a big plus. They seem to be taking COVID-19 seriously. The convenience factor is high.
The Bad: The breakfast buffet needs serious help. Some of the services felt a bit… transactional. Check-in/out could be smoother.
The Messy: Some internet hiccups - which I can get over.
HERE'S THE DEAL!
If you’re looking for a place to stay in Altoona that’s SAFE, CONVENIENT, and has enough amenities to keep you occupied, the Radisson Convention Center Deal is worth considering.
Get 15% off your room PLUS a free upgrade (based on availability!) and a voucher for a [limited] complimentary cocktail at the bar, only when you book through this review! Use code "ALTOONAINSIDER" at checkout. This deal won't last, so book it now! Don't miss out on that pool!
OYO Hotel Decatur TX: Unbeatable Deals & Comfort Await!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't your grandma's itinerary. This is my stab at surviving a convention at the Country Inn & Suites in Altoona, PA. Let’s see if I can actually survive this thing, and maybe, just maybe, find a decent cup of coffee along the way.
The Altoona Abyss: A Survival Guide (or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Beige)
Day 1: Arrival and the Perpetual Breakfast Smog
1:00 PM - Arrival & Check-In (Oh God, the Carpet!) - Pull up to the Country Inn, and let's be honest, my heart sinks a little. Beige, beige, and more beige. It's the official color of "meh." Checking in is a breeze, mostly because I'm too shell-shocked by the overwhelming… blandness… to even formulate a complaint. My room? Exactly what you'd expect. Clean, functional, and with a view of… parking. Progress!
1:30 PM - Room Reconnaissance & Emotional Breakdown (Just Kidding… Mostly) - Okay, first order of business. Locate the Wi-Fi password (critical for sanity). Then, assess the situation. Is there a working coffee maker? (Crucial for my survival). Yes! Victory! The mini-fridge is a lifesaver, too. Gonna go get some good beer later. Okay, I'm good. I'm fine. Maybe a quick nap to stave off the jet lag will help.
3:00 PM - First Convention Session (The "So You Think You Can Network" Disaster) - Here we go. The forced smiles, the awkward handshakes. I tried to force myself to participate in a networking session, but I clammed. It’s like everyone else is a networking ninja. I feel like I’m still learning how to walk. I'd rather eat a week-old sandwich than attempt small talk with these strangers. I did manage to snag a name tag, though. Progress!
6:00 PM - Dinner at a Local Place (Hopefully Better Than the Hotel Restaurant) - Thank God. I'm starving. Based on some online recommendations, I'm heading to a local restaurant. Fingers crossed it has some personality. I'll report back on whether it's soul-crushing or edible. Pray for me. Update: it was a decent meal, but the atmosphere was… spirited. I’m unsure if it was good or not. The waitress seemed to have a vendetta against me.
8:00 PM - The Hotel Bar (Or, The Quest for Liquid Courage) - Okay, so I'm not much of a social butterfly, but I'm a little curious. Might hit the hotel bar, even just for a quick beer. Maybe I can observe some of the networking ninjas in their natural habitat. Maybe they drink beer there. Or maybe I'll just end up alone, nursing a drink, staring wistfully at the television. Tune in to find out!
Day 2: Caffeine Deprivation and the Art of the Free Breakfast
7:00 AM - The Free Breakfast Battlefield (May The Odds Be Ever in Your Favor) - Oh, the free breakfast. A glorious battlefield of lukewarm scrambled eggs and questionable sausage. I approach this with a battle plan. First, coffee. Locate the coffee FIRST. Then, assess the damage. Is there any actual fruit, or are we just dealing with sad, canned peaches? I'm steeling myself. Pray for me. UPDATE: The coffee was weak, the eggs were rubbery, and the fruit was… well, it was there. I survived. Barely.
8:00 AM - Morning Session (PowerPoint to the Face) - More PowerPoints. My brain is turning to mush. The droning voices, the bullet points, the graphs I can't understand. I'm wondering if I can sneak out, or if I'll be caught, or if I'll actually care.
12:00 PM - Lunch Break (Freedom!) - Freedom! Another opportunity to find something other than the usual hotel fare. This time, I'm hunting for a good pizza place. I'm putting my faith in Google Maps and my inner pizza radar.
1:00 PM - The Great Pizza Adventure - I found it! A little hole-in-the-wall place with a brick oven. The pizza was sublime. Crisp crust, delicious sauce, and a whole bunch of cheesy goodness. I’m going again for dinner tonight. It was the best part of my whole trip so far.
3:00 PM - Afternoon Session (The Slide Show of Doom) - The afternoon sessions continue. I'm starting to zone out, staring at the ceiling tiles, daydreaming about my bed.
6:00 PM - Dinner (Pizza, Again!) - You bet your lucky stars I had pizza again! It was even better the second time. I'm seriously considering moving to Altoona just for this pizza. A bold suggestion from a pizza guy, I'm sure.
8:00 PM - Wind Down (Room Service Is for Winners… Or Losers) - Room service? Nah. I'm too tired to order anything. I'm just going to crash in my room and watch some garbage TV. Maybe I'll order a pizza for room service, now that I think about it…
Day 3: The Escape
7:00 AM - The Farewell Breakfast (May I Never See Another Cereal Bar Again) - One last dance with the sad breakfast buffet. I will remember the coffee. I will be free.
8:00 AM - The Final Session (The Sweet Taste of Freedom is Near!) - Just one more session. Just endure. Just listen to the speakers, nod, and leave it be. This is the session that separates the weak from the strong.
10:00 AM - Check Out & Airport Bound (Freedom at Last!) - Check out time. I can't get out of here fast enough. I'm escaping. No more beige. No more forced networking. Just freedom. I'm headed to the airport, and then…home. It’s time to be home.
12:00 PM - Home! - The greatest destination of all.
And there you have it. My brutally honest, probably slightly unhinged, account of surviving a convention in Altoona. The Country Inn & Suites in Altoona, you have my thanks, and I'll… well, maybe I'll be back someday. But not for a while.
San Antonio's BEST Budget Hotel? (Americas Best Value Inn Review!)
Radisson Convention Center, Altoona: FAQ From Someone Who's *Actually* Been There
Is the Radisson in Altoona *really* the best hotel for my convention? I mean, is it *really*?
Oh, honey. That's the million-dollar question, isn't it? "Best" is subjective, okay? Like, "best pizza in the world" could be a frozen DiGiorno if you're drunk enough. Here's the REAL deal: It's *convenient*. Being *attached* to the convention center? Priceless when your feet ache and you need a quick nap before the afternoon keynote. But "best"? Let's just say, expectation management is key. My expectation, always: something between a Holiday Inn and a luxury resort. What I got was... mostly, a Holiday Inn. But hey, a clean bed is a clean bed when all you want is to sleep after a long day, right?
Plus, I met this AMAZING woman (I'll call her Brenda). She was there for a knitting convention and brought a *mountain* of yarn. We bonded over the hilariously loud air conditioning and shared our room service experiences. Brenda was *amazing*. She told me she'd been coming for years... and that's the thing that sticks with me. It's not perfect, but it has its regulars. And Brenda is a big enough reason to go back.
What's the deal with the "Convention Center Deal"? Like, is it *actually* a good deal?
Okay, the "deal" part is a bit of a gamble. Generally, yes, it *can* be better than booking separately, *especially* if your convention has negotiated a block of rooms. But always, ALWAYS check prices independently. I swear, sometimes the "special" convention rates magically *inflate* when they know you *need* to be there. Sneaky, right? Look, I've had to argue with the front desk *more than once* about what the *actual* rate was supposed to be. So, do your homework. Call other hotels too! And keep the confirmation email handy. And maybe bring your *own* calculator. Okay, maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but do your research.
Is the food… edible? And should I rely on it for my meals?
Oh, the food. Here's where things get… interesting. The continental breakfast? Let's just say I've had worse, and I´ve had far better. Expect a sea of beige: doughnuts that have seen better days, rubbery scrambled eggs, and industrial-strength coffee. I *always* brought my own instant oatmeal. That saved me sanity. The on-site restaurant? It's fine. Convenient, if you're exhausted. But don't expect gourmet. I once ordered a club sandwich that took so long to arrive, I considered going out, buying and eating a whole pizza, and then returning just to see if my sandwich was there yet. Honestly? Walk. Get out! Altoona has some actual hidden gems for food. Find them. You'll thank me.
The rooms… are they clean? Are they… modern?
Clean? Generally, yes. They try. But, and this is a big BUT, the rooms are… well, they *show their age*. Think… slightly dated. Think… the same décor they probably had back in the early 2000s. The air conditioning? Oh *sweet* lord, the air conditioning. It's either blasting like a hurricane in the Arctic or barely wheezing. Bring earplugs. Bring a sweater. And pray for a decent TV, because you'll need *something* to distract you while you´re waiting for your next convention session. But hey, the bed was comfortable enough to fall asleep on, which is what really mattered. I have to admit, I *love* the small toiletries and the tiny little shampoo bottles.
Also, once I was in a room where something was actively dripping loudly in the bathroom. I called the front desk. They sent someone up. He fixed it. Life went on. You got to accept the small imperfections.
What about the fitness center and the pool?
Okay, the fitness center? If you're used to a state-of-the-art gym, prepare for a slightly depressing experience. Expect a few treadmills that might or might not work, some weights that have probably been around since the invention of the wheel, and a general air of "meh." The pool? Well, I'm not a pool-goer, so I have no strong opinion. But if you are a pool person you probably would have already gone there, right? I'll give you the lowdown if I go again.
What are the *worst* things about the Radisson? Be honest.
Okay, here's where I get real. The parking situation can be a NIGHTMARE during peak convention times. Honestly, I spent twenty minutes circling the parking lot once, like a vulture. The Wi-Fi? Hit or miss. Sometimes it’s lightning fast. Sometimes it’s slower than a sloth in molasses. And, as I mentioned before, the air conditioning. It's a force of nature. And sometimes, depending on the convention (and the clientele), the noise level can be… elevated. Prepare for loud conversations in the hallways at 2 a.m. I learned to pack earplugs.
The most annoying thing? In my personal experience, it's that feeling of being slightly *nickeled and dimed*. It's not all bad, but sometimes you remember the little things. Things like extra fees or the awkwardness of finding out a microwave doesn't come standard... Ugh. But if you are prepared, it's not that bad at all.
So… should I book it? Or run screaming?
Look, it depends. If you *need* to be at the convention center and convenience is king, then yes, it's probably your best bet. But manage your expectations. Remember Brenda and her knitting convention. Remember the slightly-worn carpets. Remember the air conditioning war. The best hotel? Probably not. A decent hotel? Potentially. A convenient place to be? Probably. And, hey, you might even meet a Brenda of your own. That's worth something, right? I'm personally in it for the story. And there's *always* a story.


Post a Comment for "Altoona's BEST Hotel? Radisson Convention Center Deal!"